Why schedule stories?
Scheduled stories are prompts that offer to tell a story at set times each day. Folktells keeps things fresh and interesting by choosing a story from the selection of favourite stories. The story prompts act as a reminder to interact with Folktells each day, helping to involve the user in the lives of their loves ones, and to be exposed to the list of upcoming events and whiteboard information. Your loved one won't need to remember how to find or start a story. They can tap the 'Yes' button or just say 'Yes' when Folktells asks. The scheduled story invites engagement, and often starts a journey through other stories.
How to set up a schedule
Schedules are set up in the Folktells settings.
- Tap the menu icon in the top left.
- Select the Settings option.
- Tap the Stories tab.
- Expand the Story Prompts section.
- Tap + Add.
- Select the time you would like the prompt to appear. To use the time picker, first select the hour, then the minute. Ensure that AM is selected for mornings or PM for afternoons. (If you use the 24 clock on your device, you won't need to do this.)
- Tap Ok.
- Repeat the process for any additional story prompts you would like.
- Tap the back button at the top of Settings when finished to return to the main screen.
Viewing a scheduled story
When a story prompt appears at the scheduled time, it is announced verbally using text-to-speech in order to attract attention. Folktells listens for a response after the announcement. To hear and see the story, say 'Yes' or tap the Yes, tell me the story button. To return to the main screen without hearing the story, say 'No', 'Maybe later', or 'Cancel', or tap the Maybe later button. If there is no verbal response or button tap after 30s, the prompt will close and return to the main screen.
If you would prefer not to have verbal announcements, tap the speaker icon on the story prompt to disable the sound. Until you re-enable the sound, Folktells will no longer read story prompt announcements out loud.